• State: Italy
• Region: Piedmont
• Province: Asti
• Coordinates: Lat. 44° 43' 15'' N | Long. 8° 17' 34'' E
• Altitude: 157 m (minimum) - 475 m (maximum) above sea level
• Surface area: 23.43 km²
• Neighboring municipalities: Bubbio, Calamandrana, Calosso, Cassinasco, Loazzolo, Moasca, San Marzano Oliveto, Santo Stefano Belbo (province of Cuneo)
• Postcode: 14053
• Dialing code: 0141
• ISTAT code: 005017
• Land registry code: B594
• Seismic classification: zone 4 (very low seismicity)
• Climatic classification: zone E, 2540 heating degree days
• Name of inhabitants: canellesi
• Patron saint: S. Tommaso the Apostle | December 21th
• Distance from Asti: 28 km
• General characteristics
The municipality of Canelli is located in Piedmont, in the south of the province of Asti.
It is located on the first opening of the Belbo torrent valley, on a modest portion of the plain and two large hill areas (separated by the Belbo axis), which represent the last offshoots of the Asti hill on the right bank of the Tanaro river. the other the first slopes of the Langa itself.
Over 70% of the municipal territory is located in the hills, with softer slopes towards the north; steeper and steep, with frequent split cones in the southern area. The maximum altitude is 500 meters s.l.m. around (Merlini district), the minimum is 150 meters s.l.m. about (plain along the Belbo torrent). The most important watercourse is the Belbo which is characterized by a torrential regime that in the past has generated frequent flooding.
The inhabitants of Canelli are called Canellesi.
• Brief history of the Municipality
The territory of Canelli in prehistoric times was the site of numerous settlements of the Ligurian Stazielli. In Roman times a first center of a certain importance developed, surrounded by numerous rustic funds where the vine was already cultivated.
After a long decline Canelli flourished starting from the High Middle Ages so much that already in the year 961 it was defined with the name of "city". Towards the middle of the eleventh century the descendants of the Counts of Acqui were installed and took over the lordship and preaching.
Branched in many parental lines, they give life to the Consortiile di Canelli, which also includes numerous municipalities in the district. In 1235 the Lords of the Consortium submitted to the Republic of Asti and Canelli, uninterrupted until today, will follow the historical events of the Astesana. The powerful Asti families of the Asinari and Scarampi will hold the Feudo, the latter raising it to the title of Marquisate. Between the 16th and 17th centuries, Canelli, outpost and Baluardo against Monferrato was the scene of countless war episodes.
Although already in the past it was one of the most populous and important centers of the Astesana, its definitive fortunes began at the end of the 18th century, when the winemaking industry of Moscato d'Asti and Asti Spumante developed, still today one of the main resources of the City.
• Main tourist attractions
The castle, now owned by the Gancia family, in the middle of the seventeenth century replaced the imposing medieval manor destroyed in 1617 during the war against the Monferrato.
The numerous Baroque churches built between the 17th and 18th centuries with the participation of the best artists of the time are of great interest.
The parishes of S. Tommaso and S. Leonardo are imposed for the quality of the furnishings, while the confraternities of S. Rocco and Annunziata are small architectural jewels. Splendid the Old Town clinging to the hill, divided into the two districts of the village and Villanuova, full of views and ancient suggestions.
Wonderful panoramic roads start from Villanuova, from which you can enjoy breathtaking views of the Astesana to the north, the Langhe to the south.
The most characteristic aspect that gives Canelli an originality, unique in Italy, is also the least visible: it is the extensive architectural heritage of the Canelli cellars, true "underground cathedrals".
These wind through the city sinking for more floors in the bowels of the tufaceous hills, creating evocative environments, true masterpieces of engineering and architecture. In the aisles of the "underground cathedrals", at a constant temperature of 12-14 degrees, entrusted to the loving care of "priests" who know and guard the most hidden secrets, they rest and age the most delicious wines of Canelli.
Canelli ... not just wine. Those who think of Canelli think of wine, and rightly it is an ancient tradition for the Canelli hills. The economic history of the hills between Langa and Monferrato has been going on for centuries with the evolution of the wine world. Canelli, home to historic wineries (Gancia, Luigi Bosca, Riccadonna, Tosti-Giovanni Bosca, Contratto, Coppo, Ramazzotti, ect ...), has lived in the last hundred years an important turning point that has seen the transformation of the Piedmontese wine industry in a real production industry.
Since the beginning of 1990, wine production has been increasingly characterized by the growth of an advanced technology.
The progressive affirmation of a technical development that requires cutting-edge machinery and equipment opens a new important moment for Canelli. In addition to its driving spirit, the south of Piedmont becomes a development center for the production of winemaking machines. Beginning in the 1950s the first big names in the mechanical industries began to establish themselves, especially for enology.
It starts with modest business volumes, with productions aimed at satisfying the local market, then companies develop and high technology conquers international markets. Today the Canelli industrial basin has become a worldwide reference point not only for the wine sector but also for enomechanics: there are currently around forty companies that produce a large turnover.
Autoclaves, conveyor belts, rinsers, fillers, capping and closing systems, capping machines, wire cutters, labeling machines, packaging machines start from Canelli to arrive in wineries throughout Italy and many other countries such as France, Spain, England, Germany, USA, Russia, Australia, China.
The cultivation of the vine was already widely diffused in Canelli in the Roman era, as evidenced by the numerous archaeological finds. After a period of stagnation, it became a new impulse starting from the 13th century, when the cultivation of white Moscato began to become more and more decisive, which then took the name "di Canelli". Archival documents show that already between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries the city "exported" outside the municipal territory the beauty of twenty thousand brente (ten thousand hectoliters) of Moscato, reaching the beginning of the last century at the record of 60,000 hectoliters produced.
Vines: Moscato, Barbera, Dolcetto, Cortese, Chardonnay.
Main wines and denomination:
WINES D.O.C.G. (of controlled and guaranteed origin): Asti, Moscato d'Asti;
WINES D.O.C. (of controlled origin): Barbera d'Asti, Dolcetto d'Asti, Cortese Alto Monferrato, Freisa d'Asti
• The title of "City"
The Municipality of Canelli can boast the title of "City".
The long practice (in 1919 was submitted a first request and a second in 1959) ended on February 24, 1967 with the signing of the decree by the President of the Republic Giuseppe Saragat (counter-signer the On Aldo Moro).
Since then the civic coat of arms has been enriched by the city crown characterized by the classic five towers.
• The civic examination
The coat of arms used by the Municipality of Canelli bears a turquoise shield with a rampant gold dog, surmounted by a marquis wreath (simplified in some cases in five-pointed crown), also in gold.
The shield is surrounded by a frieze-frame stucco, in which below are inserted two bundles of green reeds that embrace the frieze itself. The motto "Ad Praeclara" is superimposed on the emblem.
The origin of this emblem is not established, certainly it has nothing to do with the coats of arms of the ancient feudal lords of Canelli (Asinari, Scarampi and Galleani).
The oldest known document reproducing the rampant dog is a municipal manifesto of 1869.
On the bell tower of the parish church of S. Tommaso stands a seventeenth-century wind vane depicting a rampant dog with a collar.
• Palazzo Anfossi - Headquarter of the Municipality of Canelli
Palazzo "Anfossi" is the seat of the Municipality of Canelli since the beginning of the 20th century.
The image on the side is taken from a postcard of 1919 and bears the inscription "the new municipal building".
The previous building was located in the current Piazza A. Aosta on the first floor of the beautiful "Scarazzini" building.
Anfossi were a wealthy Canelli family who had fostered the construction of numerous works with munificent donations, including the hospital that was originally named after them.
At the end of the nineteenth century the municipal administration acquired the building that at the time was peripheral towards the city center but offered large open spaces, places for the recovery of carriages and horses, comfortable rooms for public offices.
After the disastrous flood of 1994 that had seriously damaged the Town Hall, the Palace was radically restored.
The inauguration of the restored building took place on April 2, 2000. The restoration is the work of the architect Canellese Gianmarco Cavagnino who imagined the town hall as a "big ship, which with its commander points the bow towards distant boundaries. port of the world ... ".
On the mezzanine floor of Palazzo Anfossi there are the Demographic Service offices; climbing the staircase you reach the corridor on the first floor, the "Gallery of the Knights of Labor" (there are busts or photographic images of the eight Knights of Labor that Canelli boasts). From this corridor you can access the office of the Mayor, the Secretary General and the reception room of the Assessors. On the right side there is access to the Hall of the Municipal Council and to the office of the Municipal messenger. From the left side of the corridor you can access the modern structure that houses the various offices of the Secretariat and, on the lower floor, the Accounting Office.
The Council Hall is named after the Deputy Mayor and Councilor Piero Invernizzi who died prematurely in 1995. In the room are preserved some banners used for the historical re-enactment of the Siege of Canelli, the Gonfalone, various memorabilia, and the collection of pre-unification laws .
On the ceiling of the Mayor's office, on that of the last floor of the building and on the floor of the underground hall, golden stars on a blue background are depicted. This peculiarity has inspired the name of the large underground hall which is in fact called "the hall of the stars". This is the former cellar of the building used by the Anfossi family as a place of wine production, as evidenced by the various tanks in vitrified cement that were preserved until 1994.
Today the Sala delle Stelle (Hall of the Stars) is a venue for conferences and meetings. It has 65 seats and a sound system. It can also be accessed via the two lifts in service at the municipal building.