• State: Italy
• Region: Piedmont
• Province: Asti
• Coordinates: Lat. 44° 54' 12'' N | Long. 8° 01' 43'' E
• Altitude: 176 meters above sea level
• Surface area: 9.72 km²
• Neighboring municipalities: Dusino San Michele, Ferrere, San Damiano d'Asti, Tigliole, Valfenera, Villafranca d'Asti
• Postcode: 14010
• Dialing code: 0141
• ISTAT code: 005018
• Land registry code: B633
• Seismic classification: zone 4 (very low seismicity)
• Climate classification: zone E, 2661 heating degree days
• Name inhabitants: cantaranesi
• Patron saint: S.Giovanni Battista | June 24th
• Distance from Asti: 15 km
The name “Cantarana” is probably of Celtic origin and refers to the presence of watercourses.
Water is still present in large quantities in the Bonoma locality, an important springfield that feeds various aqueducts.
The concentric is small and articulated around its main square, and farmhouses arranged on the extensive hilly territory formed by jugs that surround the wide valley.
Along the connecting roads there are numerous chapels and votive piers of historical and architectural interest.
The particular nature of the land built by marine deposits is evidenced by the presence of numerous fossils. The main agricultural activities concern viticulture, viticulture and livestock breeding.
Local craftsmanship is mainly active in the construction sector, in the engineering and carpentry, in the processing and trade of timber.
In the service sector, road haulage companies are important.