Baptismal font, in marble material, located in the Church of St. Thomas.
Neither the origin nor the ancient location is precisely known: only assumptions are made that could be corroborated by historical elements.
The most probable is perhaps that of the "puteal" and that is, the parapet of a well.
Only conjectures are made to whom belonged this well: the most truthful is that of a votive character to Jupiter.
It is made of marble to which the centuries have given the shade of ivory.
Made from a single block it has a cylindrical shape slightly tapered at the top.
The projecting upper edge is decorated with a frame of ovules (common molding of the Roman period); the lower edge is ornamented with very simple curvilinear motifs.
The outer surface of the cylinder is embellished with elegant grooves, sharp-edged, with tortile trend.
The interior is completely hollow with a flat bottom probably added in later times.
The author is undoubtedly an excellent stone carver who demonstrated the ability to "shape" marble with skill and elegance, creating a refined and pictorially interesting whole.
The "object" is located in St. Thomas for centuries: the earliest mentions date back to 1500 and speak of it as a baptismal font.
It was probably found in the Canelli area in medieval times, perhaps during the works on the construction of the church in the 10th century.
Comune di Canelli
- EDIFICI RELIGIOSI
- EDIFICI STORICI
Wikipedia, l'enciclopedia libera.