The geographic-historical-commercial-statistical dictionary of the States of H. M. the King of Sardinia, compiled by Prof. Goffredo Casalis in Turin in 1974 in Volume XXV° on pp. 582-583, describing the municipality of Villafranca d'Asti, mentions among other things: "The main solemnities of the country are those of the B. V. Assunta and the feast of St. Rocco."
In a pastoral report written by Priest Carlo Goria dated August 30, 1193, it is written, "church of St. Roch, patron saint of the village."
This is followed by a description of the location of the building, its wall structure, specifying that "it is without a bell tower ..., it has two steps for candlesticks, in the middle the cross with the statue of St. Roch in colored wood behind it.
Said church is under the patronage of the municipality: devoid of income."
Going back in time we have other descriptions of the Church in other pastorals in 1839 and 1727, in which it is specified that: "the Church of St. Roch has no income, but is held by the Community to the burden of maintaining it and providing for its necessities."
The time of the first work erection is not known, but it is known that it was rebuilt in the year 1926.
Its material care has always been taken care of by the inhabitants of the hill of the same name through celebrations in honor of the saint, with the traditional "hat enchantment" in order to raise the necessary funds for various interventions.
Inside is a beautifully crafted wooden statue of the saint depicted with his faithful dog.
The coloring of the statue was refreshed, by painter Giovanni Pelissetti of St. Anthony who also decorated the ceiling of the building with extensive ornamentation.