Castel Boglione, the small capital of Kosher wine in the shadow of the monumental parish church.
Castel Boglione is part of a wine country par excellence, which is the Monferrato.
It is almost hidden on the hills of the High Monferrato, a few kilometers from Acqui Terme; today it appears as a largely modern town, dominated by the bulk of the parish church and above all by the immense structures of the social winery and associated companies, all active in the field of viticulture at an international level, to which is added a large group of small and medium-sized farms.
The town covers an area of 11.86 km² and has a population of about 600 inhabitants.
It is 36 km from Asti, the provincial capital.
Formerly inhabited by the Ligurians and the Celts, the first reliable information on Castel Boglione dates back to around 1230 with the foundation of Nizza Monferrato; the castles of several nearby towns, including Castelvero and Belmonte, were destroyed (with the obligation not to rebuild them), which were located in the current territory of Castel Boglione.
In 1617 the territory of Castelvero, although remaining part of Nizza, was ceded by the Duke of Mantua and Monferrato, Ferdinando Gonzaga, to Alessandro Senesio with the title of count. The fief then passed to Francesco Bulgarini.
The son of Francesco Bulgarini, Ercole, later sold the fief to the captain Francesco Maria Roberti of Acqui Terme and on 27 April 1680 he was enfeoffed by the duke Charles II of Gonzaga-Nevers with the title of Count of Castelvero; the fief and the title remained almost unchanged until the Napoleonic era.
Between the new feudatory and the community there was an immediate judicial dispute over hunting rights, during which, in 1685, the Mayor Giacomo Rondano was arrested and imprisoned for a few days in Acqui.
From a census of 1668 of the parish priest Giovanni Battista Gaino of Cartosio we know that the population was 531 people and a description of 1675 certifies the existence of three churches: the parish church, the Disciplinante and Saint Martino, the latter with relative farm belonging to the Order of the Knights of Malta.
The territory at the time was "not very abundant of wheat and other provisions and hay but plenty of wines, chestnut and woods".
Starting from 1739 the Town Council endowed itself with "fields calls", ie a rural police regulation for the meticulous protection of cultivations and above all the vines. Among other things there were fines for the theft of ordinary grapes, doubled for particular grapes such as Moscatello, Luglienga, Passola, Malvasia, and similar.
At the beginning of 1900 the new monumental parish church was built.
On 5 May 1954 the Antica Contea di Castelvero winery was inaugurated.
Food and wine and typical products.
The territory is almost entirely cultivated with vineyards, mainly vines of Barbera, Dolcetto, Moscato.
Castel Boglione is a sort of small world capital of Kosher wine (literally suitable, allowed) for the Jewish communities of the United States; initially it was produced only with white and sweet wine, now the Kosher is also produced with red grapes from the Barbera d'Asti vine.
Wine production is flanked by a flourishing artisan salami market.
To be seen.
The parish church of Sacro Cuore di Gesù e Nostra Signora Assunta, inaugurated in 1914, is a majestic building built from scratch on the ruins of the old parish church, too small to accommodate the then community of parishioners.
It is in an eclectic neo-Romanesque style, with Gothic, Baroque and Neoclassical elements; it is spread over three naves with a large central octagonal dome and a Latin cross plan.
Castel Boglione was a hamlet of Nizza Monferrato. It obtained independence and election to Municipality on 8 April 1653.